City of Bedford Stellar Mural Proposals Press Release
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
City of Bedford requests mural proposals
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
BEDFORD - The City of Bedford seeks proposals for its next downtown mural. The mural will celebrate down-town Bedford and its landmarks. The goal of this project is to create a colorful, vibrant, inspirational commu-nity mural on the wall of the former Ballpark Heroes building on J Street building, immediately south of the Harp Commons lawn.
The mural will be part of the Indiana Stellar Communities program that supports both Bedford’s Strategic Plan and Downtown Revitalization Plan. The mural should promote a sense of local community history and civic pride, improve the appearance of the downtown walkable corridor, and attract residents as well as visi-tors to downtown.
A committee will review proposals and make a recommendation to the city. Preference will be given to Law-rence County artists. Funding for this project has been set at $6,000. The mural will not cover the entire wall, it will measure 11 feet high by 60 feet long. The deadline to apply is 4 p.m. June 11, and the mural must be completed before September 7, 2018.
The goals of the Mural Art Initiative are to:
• Beautify buildings in downtown Bedford in high visibility locations.
• Celebrate Bedford’s unique culture and character.
• Create a sense of pride among Bedford residents.
• Visually promote the benefit of the arts throughout the community.
• Provide a positive impact on project participants.
Artists interested in creating a mural should submit the following:
• A statement of interest.
• A narrative and drawing illustrating the concept, including supplemental information such as medium (acrylic is preferred) and approximate dimensions of proposed mural. The narrative should convey the artistic intent, colors, style of work and so on.
• A suggestion and cost estimate for a protective coating that will be applied to the mural after completion. The artist will be required to apply the protective coating.
• An itemized budget.
• Maintenance plan.
• Resume and contact information.
• Support material such as examples of other works and/or reviews of similar work. Sample work list could include size, materials, cost and location of other public works.
• The proposal must be printed on 8 1/2"-by-11" inch paper.
• The finished mural will be property of the building owner. The City of Bedford reserves the right to repro-duce finished work for promotion and archival purposes in printed and electronic form.
Copies of the City’s Request for Proposals (RFP) are available at from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Bedford City Hall, 1102 16th Street, and its website, www.bedford.in.us.