DOWNTOWN STREETSCAPE - WEEKLY UPDATE DECEMBER 8th, 2017
December 08, 2017
DOWNTOWN STREETSCAPE-WEEKLY UPDATE
DECEMBER 8th, 2017
CONTACT: Marla Jones Dan Kirk
Director of Business & Community Development Street Commissioner
(812) 275-1602 (812) 275-1631
Construction is underway to update the streetscape in downtown Bedford. Construction will continue on I Street between 15th & 16th Streets. Sidewalk construction on I Street will continue to move from 16th Street north towards 15th Street. Below is a list of activities that we anticipate happening over the next week. A weekly update will be distributed during the remainder of the streetscape construction.
Last week’s progress:
• Work operations are focused on the I Street segment.
• Completed installation of drainage pipe for decorative wall drain outlets.
• Completed installation of limestone cap blocks on the decorative walls.
• Completed placement of upper level sidewalks for the remainder of I Street. The upper level walks are complete short of pavers and finishing touches.
• Continued operations for curb & gutter and lower level sidewalk from 16th Street towards 15th Street.
• Completed electrical operations on both I Street and J Street for the pedestrian signals where possible until further construction areas are performed.
What to expect December 8th thru December 15th
• Work operations will continue to focus on the I Street segment.
• Continue operations for curb & gutter and lower level sidewalk from 16th Street towards 15th Street.
• Perform placement of ramps and walkways for the bump-out area in the SE corner of the 15th and I Streets intersection to connect to both the upper and lower level sidewalks.
• Perform placement of remaining steps and walkways as other operations progress.
• Potentially install street lighting for I Street.
• Installation of pavers on the sidewalk area and asphalt on the concrete roadway widening is pending weather conditions.
• As a reminder, wet concrete needs up to 48 hours to harden and cannot be walked on during that time. Please note that cold weather blankets are being placed on fresh concrete when temperatures require.
• Mats are still being used in certain areas of the construction to better identify the path for pedestrian access and to make traversing the area easier.
• Please note that the SE corner of 15th and I streets is closed to allow the construction of this area.
• Please note that at this time the primary access to businesses will be the upper level sidewalks via the completed ramps at the NE corner of 16th and I Streets
• Temporary access within the block will be adjusted and available to locations of entry in coordination with the remaining construction activities.
• We are working to restore parking on I Street as quickly as possible. A couple of temporary parking spaces are currently being made available in coordination with the remaining construction activities. As lower level sidewalks and curbs are completed, parking will gradually be restored.
IU Sustaining Hoosier Communities Class Presentation Invite
November 21, 2017
A graduate level class from the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs spent three months researching complete streets policy and implementation strategies for Bedford. They will present their work to the public on December 4, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., at StoneGate Arts and Education Center, 450 I St., Bedford.
Complete streets are those designed to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. Fourteen students in three teams researched national and state best practices for complete streets, analyzed Bedford planning documents, and met with Bedford leaders and residents. The class also brought in Indiana experts on complete streets and looked at complete streets policies and implementation strategies in similar Indiana communities. They will show potential implementation strategies for three streets that were also highlighted by the Bedford Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan and the Bedford Active Living Workshop.
This is one of twenty classes that are working with Bedford, Mitchell and Lawrence County as part of a new initiative called Sustaining Hoosier Communities, which is part of the IU Center for Rural Engagement. Fourteen projects were identified by local leaders for collaboration with IU faculty and their classes during this academic year.
Contact: Jane Rogan, Bill Brown
Sustaining Hoosier Communities
Center for Rural Engagement
For Immediate Release Precautionary Boil Order Released Notice
November 09, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRECAUTIONARY BOIL ORDER RELEASE NOTICE
November 9, 2017
The precautionary boil water order issued on Monday, November 6th, 2017 for Bedford City Utilities and East Lawrence Utilities customers has been released as of November 8th, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
Oolitic and North Lawrence Water Authority customers affected by the boil order are still under that boil order.
Thank you for your patience.
For further information contact:
City of Bedford Utilities office during business hours of 7:30 am – 4:15 pm M-F
After hours at Water Filtration Plant, 812-275-7173
Misty D. Adams
1614 L Street
Bedford, IN 47421
812-275-1626 extension 1706
Building a Better Bedford
PRECAUTIONARY BOIL ORDER ISSUED 11/6/2017 RELEASED
November 08, 2017
The precautionary boil water order issued on Monday, November 6, 2017 for Bedford City Utilities and East Lawrence Utilities customers has been released as of November 8, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.. Oolitic and North Lawrence Water Authority customers affected by the boil order are still under that boil order. Thank you for your patience.
Redevelopment Commission Meeting
October 23, 2017
The Bedford Redevelopment Commission Will Hold Their Regular Meeting On Monday, November 13th At 4:00 PM In The City Hall Mark E. Scherschel Sr. Council Chambers.
CITY OF BEDFORD COUNCIL MEETING
October 23, 2017
The Bedford City Council Meeting Will Be Held On Tuesday, November 14th At 7:00 PM In The City Hall Mark E. Scherschel Sr. Council Chambers.
Bedford City Offices Closed - Christmas And New Year's Holidy
September 20, 2017
All City of Bedford Offices will be closed Friday, December 22nd and Monday, December 25th 2017 in observance of the Christmas Holiday.
TASC buses will not run on Friday and Monday.
All Friday trash will be picked up as regularly scheduled. Friday's Special Assistance/Rear Loader and Recycle pickup will be Tuesday, December 26th.
Monday’s trash will be picked up Saturday, December 23rd.
Also, City of Bedford Offices will be closed Friday, December 29th, 2017 and Monday, January 1st, 2018 in observance of New Year’s Holiday.
TASC buses will not be running on Friday and Monday.
All Friday trash will be picked up as regularly scheduled. Friday’s Special Assistance/Rear Loader pickup will be Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018.
All Monday trash pickup will be Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018.
Bedford City Offices Closed - Thanksgiving Holiday
September 20, 2017
All City of Bedford Offices will be closed Thursday, November 23rd, and Friday, November 24th 2017 in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
TASC buses will not be running on Thursday and Friday.
All Thursday trash will be picked up on Saturday, November 25th. Thursday's Special Assistance/Rear Loader and Recycle pickup will be Monday, November 27th.
Friday trash will be picked up as regularly scheduled. Friday's Special Assistance/Rear Loader and Recycle will be picked up on Tuesday, November 28th.